It’s no secret that standing out is a challenge, especially when you are drowning in an ocean of equally-qualified candidates. It’s hard to even break through, much less grab the hiring manager’s attention.
So how do you make your resume shine? With the power of resume writing prompts!
Resume writing prompts can help you take your resume from “meh” to “wow.” Here are the best resume writing prompts to help you not only break through but also land your dream job.
The Basics of a Good Resume
Most resume experts agree that there are certain elements every resume should have. Here is the basic anatomy of a good resume:
Nothing fancy here, just include your name, address, phone number, and email address. You can also include links to your website or blog, as well as your LinkedIn profile.
This is an optional section but if you choose to include it, make sure it’s specific and tailored to the job you are applying for. A resume summary should be no more than one or two sentences long.
Skills & Qualifications
Include a list of skills and qualifications that are relevant to the position you are applying for. If you have certifications or special training, be sure to list them here as well.
Start with your most recent job and work in reverse chronological order. Include the dates you worked, your title, and the company name. Then, list your responsibilities and accomplishments for each position.
Awards & Recognitions
If you have received any awards or recognition in your field, be sure to include them here.
How To Write a Great Resume
Now that you know the basics of what should be included in a resume, it’s time to learn how to write a great resume. Here are some tips:
Use Simple Language
Resumes should be easy to read and understand so use simple language throughout. Avoid using jargon or acronyms that might not be familiar to the reader.
Tailor It to the Job
Make sure your resume is tailored specifically to the job you are applying for. Customize it so that it highlights the skills and qualifications that are most relevant to the position.
Include specific examples of your accomplishments in each job you have had. This will help the hiring manager see what kind of employee you are. Examples of accomplishments are:
- Increasing sales by X%
- Implementing a new system that saved the company $X each quarter
- Managing a team of X people
Many companies use applicant tracking systems (ATS) to screen resumes for keywords to assist the recruiter/hiring manager with identifying how you’re a good fit for their position. Read through the job description to pull out keywords.
Check for Spelling and Grammar Mistakes
This should go without saying but unfortunately, many people do not proofread their resumes before sending them out. Be sure to check for any spelling or grammar mistakes before submitting your resume.
3 Examples of a Great Resume
Ready to see what a great resume looks like? Here are three examples:
Example # 1
San Francisco, CA 94122 • 415-555-1213 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Account Executive | Client Relations | Business Development
A results-driven sales executive with X years of experience in the XYZ industry. Proven track record of increasing sales and market share. Strong negotiation and relationship-building skills. Experienced in managing a team of salespeople.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Sales Management
- Team Leadership
- Contract Negotiation
- Client Relations
Senior Sales Executive
XYZ Company | San Francisco, CA | January 2010-Present
- Managed a team of 22 salespeople in the tech market.
- Increased sales by 89% in one year.
- Implemented a new system that saved the company $1.2M each quarter.
- Recognized as “Salesperson of the Year” in 2012.
- Achieved sales goals and increased market share YoY .
ABC Corporation | San Francisco, CA | September 2008-December 2009
- Negotiated contracts with over 200 clients resulting in $2.2M in business.
- Exceeded sales goals by 70% YoY.
- Developed relationships with key clients resulting in a 121% increase in revenue.
B.A. in Business Administration
Example # 2: Marketing Professional
San Francisco, CA 94122 • 415-555-1212 • email@example.com
Marketing professional with over 15 years of experience in various aspects of marketing including product development, market research, and project management. Experienced in both B2B and B2C marketing. Proven ability to develop and implement marketing plans that increase sales and profits. In search of a Senior Marketing role with a company focused on employee growth and success.
- Marketing Strategy
- Project Management
- Market Research
- Budgeting and Forecasting
XYZ Company | San Francisco, CA | 2010 to Present
- Led a team of three product managers in the development of new products.
- Implemented market research initiatives that led to a better understanding of customer needs.
- Developed annual marketing plans that increased sales by 20%.
ABC Corporation | San Francisco, CA | 2009 to 2010
Senior Product Manager
- Managed the development and launch of three new products.
- Conducted market research to determine customer needs and wants.
- Developed marketing plans and oversaw the execution of all marketing initiatives.
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS
MBA in Marketing, XYZ University
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, XYZ University
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- “Marketing Professional of the Year” XYZ Corporation, 2010
- “Top Performer” ABC Corporation, 2009
Example #3: University Resume
Masters in Biology Candidate
San Francisco, CA 94122 • 415-555-1212 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Bachelor of Science in Biology, XYZ University | May 20XX
Relevant Coursework: Animal Physiology, Ecology, Marine Biology, Genetics
XYZ Scholars Program for Biological Sciences May 2008 – May 2012
- Selected to participate in an elite scholars program for students interested in careers in the biological sciences.
- Completed research projects on topics such as the genetic causes of cancer and the effects of environmental stressors on marine ecosystems.
XYZ University – Department of Biology | May 20XX – Present
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
- Support professors in the preparation and delivery of lectures to undergraduate students.
- Hold office hours to help students understand course material and complete assignments.
Research Experience | May 20XX – Present
- Conduct research under the supervision of a professor on the effects of environmental stressors on coral reef ecosystems.
- Presented findings at the annual meeting of the XYZ Society for Biological Sciences.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & ACTIVITIES
- Skills: Microsoft Office Suite, statistical software (R, SAS, SPSS), basic coding (Python, HTML)
- Involvement: Treasurer of the XYZ Outdoors Club, XYZ University Chapter of the American Red Cross
Ready To Land Your Dream Job? Hire a Resume Professional Today!
While a resume may be a challenge to write for some people, using resume writing prompts can help you stand out from the competition. By following the above examples and tips, you can write a great resume that will help you break through the noise.
If you’re still feeling stuck, consider working with an expert resume consultant. At The Resume Rescue, you’ll be working closely with a team of experts who can help you craft the perfect resume that’s tailored to the job you’re applying for by highlighting your most relevant qualifications. With our help, you’re sure to make a great impression and increase your chances of getting hired.
What are you waiting for? Get started on your resume today and you’ll be one step closer to landing your dream job!